The Postsecondary Success Initiative
NYEC provides technical assistance and resources to the PSI sites, with a focus on creating a community of practice by fostering peer-to-peer learning, as well as learning from national models in the areas of student supports, curriculum alignment, partnerships between CBOs and community colleges, and instruction.
Convenings: NYEC convenes the PSI sites regularly in order to facilitate peer-to-peer learning exchange, highlight promising practices, observe work at the PSI sites and their college partners, and engage with promising national models in postsecondary work. The PSI sites have been convened five times to date.
PSI Launch Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 27-29, 2010. The meeting focused on exploring the national models in curriculum development, instruction, and transition supports. The sites also participated in the SWOT analysis and developed PSI implementation plans. Agenda can be downloaded here.
Los Angeles Conservation Corps and Los Angeles Trade Technical College, Los Angeles, California, July 28-30, 2010. The meeting focused on exploring the partnership between LACC and LATTC, as well as on highlighting promising practices in math instruction, delivering transition supports, and bridge programming. Agenda can be downloaded here.
- ISUS and Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio, July 27-29, 2011. The focus of the meeting was on exploring postsecondary pathways leading to credentials with value in the labor market and on highlighting models of aligning developmental education between CBO and community college partners. Description of the Convening, agenda, and post-convening resources can be viewed here.
- NYEC and JFF: PSI Network Meeting and Learning Exchange, Crystal City, Virginia, November 2-3, 2011. The PSI Network Meeting focused on reflecting on the progress of the PSI, setting goals for the upcoming year, and connecting with sites in the YouthBuild USA network for a peer-to-peer exchange. The meeting was followed by the Postsecondary Success Learning Exchange, convened by Jobs for the Future in partnership with NYEC, YouthBuild USA, The Corps Network, and Brandeis University. The meeting focused on promising practices and national models in promoting postsecondary access, retention, and completion in disconnected youth. To read more about the Network Meeting and the Learning Exchange, click here.
- NYEC and NOVA, Washington, D.C., July 16-19, 2012. The focus of the meeting was on centering student voice in postsecondary work through the participation of the NYEC PSI Student Leadership Group, exploring the national model of CBO/community college partnerships at Northern Virginia Community College, learning about the national and PSI models in implementing culturally relevant instruction, and highlighting promising practices in curriculum alignment across the PSI network. Description of the Convening, agenda, and post-convening resources can be viewed here.
Monthly Calls & Webinars: NYEC facilitates monthly conference calls and webinars with the sites in order to exchange promising practices across the network. Selected webinar topics have included:
- Mentoring. PSI site College Initiative discussed design and successes of its evidence-based peer-to-peer mentoring program. The following materials were distributed to sites: College Initiative Mentoring Toolkit: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9.
- Learning from YouthBuild. Representatives from YouthBuild USA, YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School, and YouthBuild Brockton discussed institutionalizing the relationship with college partners and the changing role of the transition counselor overtime. The following materials were distributed to the sites: YouthBuild Philadelphia's Vision for a Career Coaching Model that Works and The Forum for Youth Investment's article about YouthBuild Brockton.
- Engaging Employers in a Meaningful Way. The meeting was co-facilitated by Ann Higdon, President & Founder of the PSI site ISUS, who has a long track record of success in building lasting and effective partnerships with Dayton, Ohio business community in manufacturing, construction, and healthcare industries in order to provide training and employment opportunities to ISUS students. The meeting summary, which includes Ann's tips on building relationships with employers, can be downloaded here.
- Data. NYEC facilitated several webinars to provide sites with technical assistance on collecting and reporting PSI data.
- Peer-to-Peer Exchanges: NYEC facilitated discussions on promising practices, lessons, and learnings that were based on interim reporting and presented by the sites.
Reporting: NYEC collects quarterly reports from the sites in order to track the progress of the PSI. Please see the Products & Tools section of our website for more information.
Data Reporting Support: NYEC provides support and technical assistance that the sites need to comply with data reporting requirements of the PSI. NYEC has engaged an internal data consultant to assess the sites' data collection capacity, respond to questions, analyze the data collected from the sites, and inform sites of the outcomes of the PSI. Please see the Products & Tools section of our website for more information.
PSI Weekly Update: NYEC distributes a weekly email newsletter in order to inform sites of important program updates and announcements and to share postsecondary education news, resources, and funding information.
- PSI Weekly Updates for August - October 2011, including funding streams spotlights on the Chafee Foster Care Independence Program, the Educational and Training Vouchers Program, the Workforce Investment Act, The Second Chance Act, and the Learn & Serve America Program; and professional development, curriculum, career counseling, and juvenile justice resources. Click on the dates to access August - October 2011 Weekly Updates online: August 22, 2011, August 29, 2011; September 5, 2011, September 12, 2011, September 19, 2011, September 26, 2011; October 10, 2011, October 17, 2011, October 26, 2011.
- PSI Weekly Updates for November - December 2011, including update on legislation affecting structural changes to Pell Grant; postsecondary news and reports; and coverage of the forthcoming GED test redesign. Click on the dates to access November - December 2011 Weekly Updates online: November 14, 2011, November 21, 2011, November 28, 2011; December 5, 2011, December 12, 2011, December 19, 2011.
- PSI Weekly Updates for January - April 2012, including common core resources; new reports and briefs, including reports from Georgetown University, IHEP, the White House Council for Community Solutions, Center for Community College Student Engagement, UCLA's Civil Rights Project, Center for the Study of Race and Equity in Education, and American Association of Community Colleges; and tips on how nonprofit organizations can effectively utilize social media. Click on the dates to access January - March 2012 Weekly Updates online: January 9, 2012, January 17, 2012, January 23, 2012, January 30, 2012; February 6, 2012, February 13, 2012, February 20, 2012, February 27, 2012; March 5, 2012, March 12, 2012, March 19, 2012; April 2, 2012, April 9, 2012, April 16, 2012, April 23, 2012, April 30, 2012.
- PSI Weekly Updates for May - July 2012, including information about student loan rates increases; family engagement resources; data webinars; scholarship resources; college planning resources; reentry resources; financial aid planning resources from the U.S. Department of Education; and new reports from MDRC, Campaign for College Opportunity, Georgetown University Center for Education and the Workforce, and New York Reentry Education Network. Click on the dates to access May - July 2012 Weekly Updates online: May 7, 2012, May 14, 2012, May 21, 2012; June 11, 2012, June 18, 2012, June 25, 2012; July 3, 2012; July 30, 2012.
- PSI Weekly Updates for August - October 2012, including information on the new Deferred Action Program for undocumented youth; reports from the Annie E. Casey Foundation, The National Center for Juvenile Justice, Community College Research Center; The National Conference of State Legislatures, IHEP, The National Student Clearinghouse, The Forum for Youth Investment, Georgetown University, and more. Click on the dates to access August - October 2012 Weekly Updates online: August 6, 2012, August 13, 2012, August 20, 2012, August 27, 2012; September 10, 2012, September 17, 2012, September 24, 2012; October 8, 2012, October 15, 2012, October 22, 2012, October 29, 2012.
- PSI Weekly Updates for November - December 2012, including reports on college success courses, college and career readiness, improving juvenile justice system outcomes for girls, supporting success of transfer students, improving outcomes for disconnected youth, reforming financial aid,and measuring student engagement. Click on the dates to access November - December 2012 Weekly Updates online: November 5, 2012, November 12, 2012, November 19, 2012; December 3, 2012, December 10, 2012, December 17, 2012.
- PSI Weekly Updates for January - March 2013, including student loan repayment and digital learning resources and reports on developmental education rates and reform, rates of enrollment in online for-credit courses, high school graduation rates projections, Common Core standards, college costs and funding, the Reimagining Aid Design and Delivery series, the digital divide, and juvenile justice reform. Click on the dates to access January - March 2013 Weekly Updates online: January 7, 2013, January 14,2013, January 21, 2013, January 28, 2013; February 4, 2013, February 11, 2013, February 19, 2013, February 25, 2013; March 11, 2013, March 18, 2013, March 25, 2013, April 1, 2013.
For more information about the PSI, please contact Yelena Nemoy at email@example.com.